Oil Pump

Started by Upperstoker, August 09, 2017, 12:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phutton

Once the flow has been established, you won't need to prime the pipe again.

P

Upperstoker

Thanks, most helpful and reassuring.

Will look at priming the feed pipe to the head and gauge but will the oil eventually fill these pipes through running the bkie?

phutton

The pump on these machines is quite a low capacity, so it does take a little while for the flow to become apparent. You won't see on just kicking the engine over.

You should have a tell-tale on the pump, and this is what you should look for. You see it start to come out after the engine has been running for a minute or so. If it does, then the problem is with the feed to the head or to the gauge, so it might be worth priming the feed pipe to the head. I'm afraid it's a matter of elimination with the engine running.

P.

Upperstoker

For a 1935 Model 9 what is the best way for me to check the oil pump is working correctly?

Currently  I am not getting any oil presure reading at the gauge when the bike is running. May be a faulty gauge or feed pipe. Bike is new to me so dont know its history. I have the oil tank tap on full (no 3 setting) and oil is flowing to the pump, having disconnected the pipe to check. I have disconected each of the other unions at the pump in turn and kicked the bike over but no oil flow! Does the bike need to be running to get the piump to be fully operational?