Steering damper

Started by Steve_M90, July 14, 2018, 06:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

this is the bottom steering damper nut on a 1932 M9A, as you can see the bottom steering head spindle passes through it making it impossible to remove on it's own.
I'm glad I looked at this as I have found that it has a crack that needs repairing..

singleminded

Yes that's the problem with the bottom spindle passing through the bottom nut..I'll post a pic when i can get into the spares box.

Steve_M90

Thanks for the guidance. I the end it seemed simpler than I imagined. The damper knob came out after some torque was applied. I couldn't fully release the nut at the bottom, I was able to free it off by say 3mm at most. However, this gave adequate access to clear all the accumulated debris out. I have reassembled it dry but I was thinking something might be needed to prevent it rusting. Picture of the clean and reassembled damper attached.

The steering now moves much more freely.

Steve

singleminded

Hi Steve..The first thing to do is remove the damper knob and long stud that goes through the steering head,slacken it off as much as you can and pour releasing oil down the stud so that it can get to the bottom nut that holds the damper plates together. If that won't work you may have to heat the bottom damper nut.
The big problem is that the bottom fitting has an elongated hole through it and the lower rear fork spindle passes through this slot, so to completely strip the steering damper means that you have to partially strip the forks.
On my bike that means jacking the bike up at the front so that the forks fully extend and remove the centre spring, remove the front wheel to reduce the weight and then half remove the lower rear spindle far enough to release the damper assembly.

Steve_M90

My steering has become progressively heavier. It is now so unresponsive it feels like I have torque steer. I have disconnected the damper from the down-tube and the front forks move very freely. I can't move the aluminium knob by hand at all. What is involved in stripping it down and cleaning it please??

Steve