1935 Model 8 Amal 276AE / 1BE

Started by Exstress, June 27, 2018, 06:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Parkington

Hmmm, sounds strange, John - although the taper fitting on many magneto points base plates is the same so (once again) it is possible to end up with the wrong parts fitted.
That said, I'd guess a '35 uses an MO1 or MS1 Lucas magneto - the 'MS1' has a ring type points cam (same as postwar twins) while the 'MO1' has a face cam. Lucas points are about the bulkiest so I doubt that's the problem. You can get troubles with the MO1 points not opening when either the bakelite pushrod that sits beneath the spring blade of the moving point is worn down/broken or (wrong bits again!) when the points cam fitted is too thin (shallow) - there are a couple of different sizes.
Probably a pic of the points wouldn't go amiss either - unless you've already got it sorted, of course!
Cheers Rick   

Exstress

Cheers Rick, your advice is most welcome.

I will try to add some photos this week and possibly give you an idea of the inards! I am struggling with the timing at present as the points seem too big to open properly so I cant get a true setting.

Thanks, John

Rick Parkington

Just a thought, the 276AE is a 16H Norton carb and has an unusual pilot air supply. Instead of the pre-war type 4 holes around the base of the mixing chamber or the post-war single large diagonally-downward hole just inside the bellmouth, it has a flat milled on the back of the jet block allowing air coming in through the bellmouth and under the slide cutaway to drop into a gap and enter the pilot system via two 1/ 8" ish holes drilled horizontally into the milled section. If you have a jet block for another carb fitted you will never get the pilot working right.
Remove the slide and look down from the top, if you can see a gap at the back of the jet block ie it's very slightly D - shaped (although the straight of the D is only about half an inch long) it's probably ok, if the jet block is still completely round and a perfect fit in the body - and nobody has added any drillings to compensate - you will have a problem. Over the years, people (me included!) have often put carbs together from bits and ended up fitting completely wrong parts
Generally the 1.5 turns should be a good starting point for a type 6.
Cheers Rick

Exstress

VicYouel

My Amal 1935 list specifies a 76/001 with 15/16ins internal bore. 140 jet and 6/4 slide with needle in position 4.

Best to check that your pilot is seating properly .... I dismantle and use suck and blow tests wuth the slide fully closed. Then 1 1/2 turns out as you say.
vic

Exstress

Hello,  I am just getting a 1935 model 8 back on the road. It is fitted with an Amal 276AE / 1BE Carb.

Please can anyone advise in the initial mixture setting as this model seems to have an extra long set screw and nut and seems to be screwed most of the way in.  I would normally screw the mixture screw in fully then back out 1.5 turns. Is this a suitable "starter setting" for this model carb.

Thanks in advance,  John.