The Dalriada Run 1st June 2014

Started by shorrog, March 01, 2014, 05:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorrog

The Dalriada Run 1st June 2014

A fantastic run through beautiful countryside in Scotland

Eligible machines should be manufactured before 1st January 1940 and of course be a Sunbeam product. However, there has been interest from folk who do not possess a Sunbeam, so due to this and the distance people are prepared to travel, machines of other makes would be welcome. I would stress that the idea of this run is to have as many Sunbeams as possible.

The route has some hills (unavoidable in this part of the world) and this should be borne in mind when choosing your machine. I will say though that any Sunbeam model will do the job. The run will start from Seil Island Village Hall (at which there are good parking facilities) here at Ellenabeich and make its way south to the Cairnbaan Hotel by the Crinan Canal, near Lochgilphead. The run will leave the hall at approximately 10am on Sunday, 1st June and there will be a gathering the previous night at the local pub. (Oyster Bar, Ellenabeich, where evening food is available). The entry fee is £17.00 and additional lunch £12.00 (i.e.pillion passenger) There are local B&Bs. The Seil Island Village Hall can also accommodate overnight stays, though you will have to supply your own sleeping bag etc – a bit like indoor camping! Fuel As with everywhere else, petrol stations are becoming less numerous and at the start location there is no fuel supply. Please ensure you have a full tank of fuel before you start. It would be wise to have a spare gallon and you may want to deposit it in the sweeper vehicle if you think necessary. There are two petrol stations a short distance from the lunch stop (Cairnbaan Hotel 40 miles from the start and mid-way through the run) and lunch will start at 12.30pm. I am sure this will be flexible. First off from Seil Island Hall will be at 10.00am. Smaller capacities and outfits first. The route is quite simple, with the least number of turns – I have tried to keep it direct. Please take your time and enjoy the route. There will be an award for the best Sunbeam and best machine of other manufacture. For further details and entry form please contact Chris Odling Tel: 01852 300191 or chris@odshed.co.uk DALRIADA – a little bit of history The people of Dalriada were known as the Scoti and probably originated in north east Ireland. The "probably" is because no trace of the large scale migration of people this would imply has been found on the ground, and some experts believe that the Scoti were actually descendents of the Epidii tribe who were earlier recorded as living in western Scotland. Either way, the Scoti, or Scots, remained a force in their part of Scotland from before 500 until after 800. The last King of Dalriada was Kenneth I, who went on to gain control of the Pictish crown in 834 and merge the crowns of the Scots and the Picts to make a single kingdom, Alba: what we would today call Scotland - though its borders took centuries more to define. The seat of power in Dalriada was at Dunadd in Argyll, which served as the capital of the Kingdom and was where its Kings were anointed. We will pass Dunadd on the homeward route.

For further details please contact Chris Odling chris@odshed.co.uk