Gearbox 1932 Model 9 with pull clutch dismanteling etc.

Started by hennie.nijhuis, August 25, 2021, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hennie.nijhuis

Hello Fellow Sunny owners.

Thanks for your advice, I wil use this to try and deminish the leaking.

Greetings, Hennie

klaudius

In the cold state the 140 is of course a bit tough (like mother-in-law in the morning) but after a few meters the 140 oil runs very nicely. I only go in summer. I never tested it in winter, autumn or spring. That may well be true.
Greeting
Claudius

Rick Parkington

Hi Hennie,
Just to agree with John and add a bit, yes, that shaft should be sealed with a washer and the nut is intended to crush the washer onto the shaft when tightened - what we call a 'gland seal' - but after a few decades this adjustment has probably been used up. Personally I don't like O rings in this application because they are not really suited to being tightened in this way, being easily damaged if squashed like that. I prefer to use felt, cut from a thick sheet using hole cutting 'wad punches' if possible - but it is vital to oil-proof the felt by soaking it in melted tallow first or the oil will just soak through. Tallow is readily available as electricians use it to lubricate wires fitted into protective piping. With the tallow soaked into the felt, it forms a shape easily and is well lubricated for movement of the shaft so it works well.

For oil I use SAE 50. I once tried Castrol D (SAE140) but was horrified how hard it was to turn the wheel on the stand in neutral - probably knocked 10mph off the top speed! 
Cheers Rick

singleminded

I use Morris straight cut gear oil also in 140 grade..If the leak is from the selector shaft have you tried to tighten the large nut behind the lever? there should have been a leather washer in there and you tighten the nut to compress it to stop it leaking..John

klaudius

Hello
I run 140 gear oil. Good switchability. Also with 90 - gearbox loud and complain a bit metallic. 320 was bad to switch. Think 140 is the best alternative for summer. 4 speed 1932 M7A and M9A. Both are tight with this oil, no loss even after long standing.
Greetings from Germany.
Claudius

hennie.nijhuis

Hello all, the gearbox of my 1932 Model 9 with the uniek pull clutch leaks quit a bit of oil at the gear selector shaft.

I know that an Englisch bike should leak, otherwise there is no oil in it... but I think that a mere shaft can be more or less oil tight with a simple o-ring .

Is there some one who has an exploded view of dismanteling/assembly artikle for these bikes? Better to prepare before .....

A second question that releates to oil leaking is what type of oil should be used in these gear boxes. At the moment I use Kroon Oil MEP 680 wich is a very thick oil specialy for heavy duty gearboxes.

Awaiting responce, Hennie