Forum & Facebook

Started by Thomas, June 25, 2021, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

QuoteIt is possible to prevent any viewing of posts unless you sign in, we have not done this to date as we wanted to encourage new members. But maybe we should rethink this. What do folks think?

I think, it's better to leave the discussion visible for everybody and actively invite the Facebookers to join the forum.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

shorrog

Hi Guys
I think this is a really good discussion and a number of the points raised are very valid. However I would urge caution about using real names, this forum's posts are viewable by anyone on the Internet and it does not take much effort to find out that for example Joe Blogs has multiple Sunbeams and then a quick search on the Internet may well reveal addresses. 

The Forum is currently set up so that only valid members can post and new applicants are checked to ensure they are paid up members before being granted access. 
It is possible to prevent any viewing of posts unless you sign in, we have not done this to date as we wanted to encourage new members. But maybe we should rethink this. What do folks think?

Going back to Thomas's original post I agree that it is a shame that there are effectively three Sunbeam forums but I think all play a valuable role. Facebook is great for keeping in touch whilst I think this forum is good at storing those technical queries that can be searched in the future. Certainly the more it is used the better it becomes.
Graham

kbryt

I am wary of using my full name on the internet forums becuase I don't want people from my past in the trade  pestering me; It was a long time ago, but the pests have long memories.
I do though lament the imbalance between the face book and club forums, but its the same with most clubs; I am inthe Austin Ten mob and its the same there. Probably its the old something for nothing syndrome.

However none of the information I put into Facebooks moneygrubbing sites is nowhere near the truth; Muckerberg thinks I am 101 years old, and my password for the site is abuse and my email for it os specific to that site, no where else.

Greybeard

I dont know whether its possible with this forum, but on the AJS/Matchless one the poster is shown as a member under their user name in the box on the left hand side. Guests that sign up are only allowed a limited time (I think its 90 days) and have restrictions such as not being able to post pictures.
I appreciate that this might mean further work on the part of the administrators who are already doing a great job and for that we are grateful.

Steve (wot is a member  ;) )
1916 Triumph Model H
1926 AJS G8 500cc ohv
1937 Sunbeam Lion 500cc
1937 Ariel 500cc
1949 Matchless G80S
1952 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1953 Matchless G9
1953 BSA B31
1961 Matchless G80
1961 AJS M31 De Luxe 650cc
1961 Panther M120 650cc
BMWs R100RT - R80 - 1960 Earles fork R60
1960 Rover P4

Thomas

QuoteI do have one real problem with this forum, that unless people use their real name I have no idea who they are and even whether they are a member.

A valid point. I adjusted my signature accordingly.  ::)
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

VicYouel

The big advantage of this forum is the store of past technical issues that is searchable.

The subject that Thomas raises does remain a concern of the club committee and is contiunually discussed. Most of MSCR club committee do not do F/B which does contain many good technical issues and with my responsibility as a new spares person I read all the F/B postings and often make email/telephone contact with the person but I  rarely post. Often after helping somebody on F/B they become a club member; it is a good recruiting tool and there are more F/B members than there are club members,

There is no solutiuon that I can think of in a free society except to encourage Sunbeam owners.

I do have one real problem with this forum, that unless people use their real name I have no idea who they are and even whether they are a member.

Vic

singleminded

When i make a posting on this forum I always post on facebook as well, I then include everyone.
i much prefer using this forum for technical queries as i feel that there is more experience here.
John

Greybeard

I'm right behind you on this one, Thomas. I don't have a smartphone and have nothing to do with the likes of farcebook or twatter. I much prefer to use the various forums (fora?) where topics are searchable and not displaced/lost amongst a sea of often fascile comments and pictures. I don't suppose there is a solution to it now that 'those things' have become all pervasive. I just hope that the rest of us don't get forgotten about  ???

Steve
1916 Triumph Model H
1926 AJS G8 500cc ohv
1937 Sunbeam Lion 500cc
1937 Ariel 500cc
1949 Matchless G80S
1952 BSA A10 Golden Flash
1953 Matchless G9
1953 BSA B31
1961 Matchless G80
1961 AJS M31 De Luxe 650cc
1961 Panther M120 650cc
BMWs R100RT - R80 - 1960 Earles fork R60
1960 Rover P4

Thomas

Hello together!

I find it really unfortunate that the Sunbeam community is spread out between this forum and the Facebook pages. The forum is much less visited. There is hardly any exchange here. Given the convenience of using Facebook on smartphones, this is not surprising. However, one pays for this comfort with one's own data to a private company. Because I am quite familiar with the corresponding monitoring problem, I am not found on Facebook and I am not tracked by cookies. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for this problem, but I think it should be a topic in the club.

Greetings, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)