Valve noise

Started by Thomas, May 13, 2020, 10:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Thank you for the warning, Paul, I also had added a shot of motor oil. Best, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

phutton

It's a long way back on this thread, but do be aware that WD40 is not a lubricant. The clue is in the name - WD stands for Water Dispersant, and its lubrication properties are poor.

Thomas

Great, thank you, I'll check it out!
Cheerio, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

Before you open the rockerbox,have a good look at the lefthand side of the rockerbox..my 1932 rockerbox appears to be the same as the 1935 one BUT the later ones had the oil flow adjustable from the outside just behind the sparkplug.
The picture is of my rockerbox, where the flat is on the later ones the adjuster is there..i know your one is not like this but it's worth checking before stripping it.

shorrog

Thomas
When you do take your photos please post them here as I am sure others will find them very useful. The lubrication of the top end is somewhat of a mystery to many of us.
Graham

Thomas

Aha, I missed that (somewhat difficult to find). It's for a Light Solo but both machines have the same motor. Then I should open the rocker box. I'll check the whole lubrication chain, anyway, and will take some phptos. Thanks for your help!
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

the listing for the regulator is in the listing for oil tank.

singleminded

I have just checked the parts list for a 1937 M9 and in the lubrication system list there is a reference to a rgulator with washer inside the rocker box.
http://www.sunbeamland.com/partslist/?fbclid=IwAR2e6MYnqZDhy5ZD3porkuhWSDec7964WUuXmT5gkUVgEe9rMKhHuNF4_Eo

Thomas

Thank you, I appreciate every input! I know this picture from ,,The Sunbeam Motorcycle" by Robert Champ. Unfortunately it seems that the Sunbeam engineers developed a lot of different designs (see picture). So, I cannot discover any needle valve. As soon as I can run the motor again I will check if oil is running at all, as Claudius suggested.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

Your bike will not have the elbow..My bike is a 1932 with a series 1 engine.
I think that the adjustment should be the needle valve just below the rocker box cover..the drawing  is of a 1937 engine..
I have never worked on a 1937 sunbeam so I can only make suggestions.As the noise disappeared when you oiled it it must be a lubrication problem.

Thomas

Uuups, I missed some contributions...

QuoteNo. on the 1932 -1935 bikes there is a ball valve and spring in the rocker feed elbow. If the spring in the elbow and the spring in the tell tale are not matched then the oil flow in the system can be upset..i had to do some fine tuning to get it right.

Rocker feed elbow... where is that? And where is the "needle type adjuster" mentioned on page 120 of the Book of the Sunbeam?

Klaudius, I know very little about the machine history and presently I have three areas to fix. Vibrating spring, cush sprocket and the squeaking valve. I have taken the sprocket off so that a test for oil flow in the rocker pipe is presently impossible. I'll do that when I've gotten a new one. With a little luck the spring vibration is gone then and I can focus on the valve.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

klaudius

Good morning, how far do you know the history of your machine? To me, that sounds like worn valve guides. The valves do not lie on the guides over a large area. The small contact areas could make the strange noises. However, oil shortages could be responsible for everything. What does the oil do when the line is unscrewed and the engine is running? From 1932 the valves were actually very well supplied with oil. Greetings from Germany. Claudius.

Thomas

Thank you, bit I have this book already. There's only information about the inlet valve lubrication on page 26 but nothing for the exhaust valve. What was the problem with your rockerbox lubrication?
Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

Try to get a copy of this book, there are a few on Ebay at the moment all different prices..It doesn't have lots of information but it will help with some things.

singleminded

Will this help

singleminded

No. on the 1932 -1935 bikes there is a ball valve and spring in the rocker feed elbow. If the spring in the elbow and the spring in the tell tale are not matched then the oil flow in the system can be upset..i had to do some fine tuning to get it right.

Thomas

What was the reason? Oil pipe blocked?
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

singleminded

I had this with my 1932 M90 engine i just built. I didn't have enough oil going to the rocker box.

Thomas

These seem to be rather normal wear and tear. I must have driven 4,000 miles since I bought the machine. The vibrating spring still remains a mystery, though.

I have no idea what guide material it is. If I have to open the engine because of the vibrations, I can check. Otherwise, I'll just grease it every few hundred miles. Before I open the engine I first take care of the sprocket. The chain jumps a bit because of the worn sprocket and it could be that not the crankshaft bearing causes my spring vibrations but the old sprocket. If I am lucky, Vic has one (and a chain). If not, I will buy another one (which sprocket is the best?) and have it welded onto the old collar.

I really miss more fellows of my MIG in the forum...

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

kbryt

Cast iron is/was supposed to be self lubricating, are your guides made of something else?
you seem to have inherited enough other odd ball  problems with the bike.

Thomas

Bull's eye! I put some WD40 on it and the noise is gone. That means, the stem was not sufficiently lubricated. I though it will be automatically but that seems to be wrong. How is it lubricated at all?
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

shorrog

Very strange, can you put some oil on the valve stem and see if it changes.
Graham

Thomas

Hi, Graham, you'r right, here is the longer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRhhYKYK8fs&feature=youtu.be If it's still too short I can record a longer one but it will basically remain the same.

Yes, I talk about the repeating squeak. Sounds like the valve stem but I'm not sure, of course. Until now I didn't realise the squeak because the motor is much louder. And now I dismantled the cush drive sprocket because I need a new one. No running possible.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

shorrog

Thomas
The best way to get a longer video is to upload to YouTube and then just post a link on your message.

The noise is really strange is it that squeak that you are referring to? Have you started the bike and if so what does it sound like when running.?
A longer video would be really useful.
Graham

Thomas

Here is a short clip of my exhaust valve which makes some noise (speakers on). Because of the limited upload space I had to shorten it to one single cycle. What is that?
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)