Front brake shoes 1931 Model 9

Started by roofrack, December 26, 2019, 12:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

Yes I agree, seeing them side by side helps..It looks like the ones Vic has have a thicker section under the linings..If it were my bike I would most likely fit them if they lined up correctly, or even if they were very close. You can always get thick linings and then machine them to fit the drum..I got 8mm thick linings and turned them to fit my slightly worn drum..

roofrack

Just for reference and direct comparison here is a photo of Wessex Man's 6" drum and shoes and the shoes held by Vic that were given to the club by the Morris family.

wessex_man

Thanks, glad to have been of help. No spare shoes I am afraid. If the club are potentially going to get some made thats a good option as Beam wheel and brake parts are difficult to find generally. The brake shoe linings obviously wear. And re-lining services are not like they used to be as the demands of the automotive industry have changed. The beam ones are a bit of an odd size and I haven't been able to find anymore readily available shoes which can be adapted to suit. So failing that you may have to consider making some steel ones which are a bit of a pain to do but possible.

roofrack

For reference Vic Youel has two sets of brake shoes as club spares which came from Richard Morris and one of them would appear to be for the 6" drum (1549M - as photo) and one 7" (1550).  The 6" ones have a similar number to that below.  It's currently the only set he has so could be used as a casting template - although it looks now like a first gen casting copy itself. 

roofrack

Hi Dave, I copied your photo onto my desktop and fiddled about with the brightness and I suddenly I could see the rear lacing properly.  That is great, the lacing looks like mine, the overlap on the plate appears the same - all this is fantastic news, looks like my wheel, drum and plate are the correct and original parts and that all I need is the brake shoes - and now I have the casting number as well.  I'm guessing you don't have any spare sets knocking around?  Thanks again for your photos - invaluable information.

Should anyone else have a spare pair of brake shoes with the marking SM607/1549M on - it looks like I am in the market so please do get in touch. 
Danny

roofrack

Drum showing lacing reverse angle .

Apologies - although it says I can put 4 photos on each post I can't quite see how to do it and it's only letting me select one at a time. 

roofrack

Drum showing spoke lacing

roofrack

Drum with measurement

roofrack

Plan view of hub and plate showing overlap.  Drum is 6" and plate 7ish. 

roofrack

Yes great reply thank you.  In the picture of the back of your hub, I can't quite make out.. do the spokes just lace into the rear of the hub?  That is how they seem to be on my wheel.  I am attaching photo.  Your brake shoes and pivot and cam arrangement appear to be almost exactly the same as my rear hub, but slightly smaller.  I think my front brake plate is oversized, or possibly incorrect as well.  John said that he had seen this before however and the 7" plate had been used on both 6 and 7" drums.  The pivot points are comfortably inside the 6" drum. 

My rear shoes have the casting number SM606/6060 on them.   (I shan't put a photo of the rear up here - it's a post about front shoes and I shall only confuse myself.)  I am attaching five photos of my hub, plate and shoes.  Thanks again.     

singleminded

Great reply..loads of good pics..Love it..john

wessex_man

Hi 1931 was the first year of the Web forks and the 31 fork arrangement used for that year only I think. The hub and brake drum you have appears to be correct however you have the wheel fitted in the forks incorrectly. The brake shoes were also different compared with earlier and later models, so the heads of the spokes didn't rub on them. Some pics to help you out. P.S. Forget the 95 castings completly different.

singleminded

Paul,thecrocodile, is a good contact for Sunbeam parts..Very odd looking castings though.

singleminded

No your forks are not dogleg ones..1931 semms to be the changeover year for forks..I'm sure that Hugh McAllister is getting shoes made, or they are in the pipe line..I have a feeling that 6" shoes are available from somewhere..i'll ask at the Windsor meet tomorrow..John

roofrack

Ah - all very useful information thank you very much. 

I don't know if my forks are dogleg I'm afraid - not familiar with the term.  A photo is attached.  (Hopefully).

I'm afraid the bike is at my mate's house so I can't pop out and check but from memory the drum was seemingly spot on 6" while the back plate was about an inch bigger - so 1/2" overlap all round.  So - a smaller drum anyway. 

What I foolishly haven't done is take the back wheel off and compare shoes.  I shall make that my next task and then try to decide on a route forward.  It may make sense to try and change to a more conventional drum size and try to adapt the back plate.  It did appear a little on the small side for a 500 anyway.  Or it may be that I need to get castings done - would certainly be easier if the front and back shoes are the same. 

Thank's again for your help.

singleminded

The Suffolk section won't be meeting in January at the Vine,we miss this month out as the weather can be iffy..What forks have you got in your bike? are they Dogleg forks.
If they are then the drum diameter is 7 1/8" and the plate over hangs the drum quite a bit..It took me years to find brake shoes, but i hear that someone is going to get some made..Fingers crossed..the front shoes are narrower than the rear by the way..John

roofrack

I am doing some work on a Model 9 and the brake shoes are missing.  I have a wheel and a brake plate - but the plate appears to be bigger than the drum by about half an inch.  I can't tell if the wheel is original - the plate looks like ones in photos - it is chromed like the tank - which seems age appropriate as the bikes were chromed that year.  Although in other photos of chrome tank bikes I've seen the plate is painted black.  I'd really like to have a look at a front brake set up from a similar age bike to see how it should be and confirm measurements.  I emailed Vic who wasn't optimistic about finding a supplier for shoes so if he's right I'd be looking to find someone prepared to lend a set for casting purposes.  I'm in Maldon, Essex so I'll try to get along to the January meet in a couple of weeks as well.  If you have a similar bike you'd be prepared to let me have a look at I would be most grateful if you could let me know.  Merry Christmas all.