Club Manufactured Spares

Started by shorrog, May 20, 2014, 10:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbryt

Fork spindles would seem to be an item likely to sell well ?

max

I'd personally like to see a batch of 89/001 carbs made. I'm currently running my model 9 on a norton type carb which is too small a diameter for the bike but was the only one I could find. I even have a fire damaged / cracked 89/001 that could be used as a pattern if we had someone who could cast these

VicYouel

Beware the tell tail not popping out...... if it does not then the oil feed to the big end is effectively switched off.

Apart from an oil regulator being re-manufactured  (somebody made them in the eighties) we could do with some tell tail springs and for 1932 onwards some rocker oil feed springs.

Vic

Iansmart

I met a Model 9 rider at the West Kent run who recommended a simple and very effective end to wet sumping misery that is guaranteed to work Buy a cheap 5/16 ring spanner, grind out a slot to fit over the oil line and loosen the oil pipe at the engine side and remove the line at the tank end. Buy another oil coupling and crush the pipe flat and fit! I bought all of the above at the autojumble for £3 and it works fine, only takes a few minutes to fit or remove. I've cured the wobbly seat clamp by getting it welded up. Admittedly neither solution is one for the purist.

wessex_man

Re manufacturing on/off tap to stop beam sumping. I normally run on position 2 on the three postion tap and 3 if I think I need some more oil (especially when running in). I have never had cause to use position 1. Therefore I have soldered this up giving an off position when bike is laid up for long periods problem solved. Make sure that you clear the other two holes out.  Also remember the three position tap has an effect on the oil pressure.

Very fast sumping suggests that the plunger is not returning correctly or is jammed open. the plunger can get caught on the chrome/nickle bits hole.  Also Tail Tail assy consists of plunger spring and leather washer to stop the oil getting out. Found that the leather washer can jam the plunger and requires a bit of fettling to get the plunger and spring to operate freely.

Hope this helps.

'Veteran Triumph Spares'  (Ian's) saddle clamps are very good but for some reason can't see them listed on their website. Also a source of MC22 bearings.

phutton

Hi Billy,

Sean kelly and Chris Odling are looking at having a batch of gear-sets made for BT and CT boxes. Might be worth talking to them before you go too far.

Paul

singleminded

As long as a week!!!
I could also use a saddle clamp..I did see a very good one for a teens triumph but was put off by the price £60+.I agree that an oil regulator with an off would be good and I could use one as well..John

Iansmart

I'd like to be able to buy the correct seat clamp for the saddle of my Model 9. I've seen many ingenous addtional brackets added to stop the nose of seats flying up sky-wards after a decent bump. The common factor seems to be badly worn ribbed clamp washers.

Also, an oil regulator that doubled as an 'off' tap that actually works. Wet sumping seems to be a common problem after just a week or so idle.

meddlesomebilly

Personally I'm stuck for a gearbox mainshaft for a 1929 Model 90 and would like to find a new one, mine has had the kickstart ratchet splines cut into the plain section upon which the kickstart rotates displacing the whole clutch assembly and causing massive wear on the clutch basket sprocket teeth due to chain misalignment. I imagine that any well used bike will be suffering the same problem. The clutch baskets must also also be in a similar state of disrepair to mine and could be candidates for re-manufacture although a better route might be to adapt a more modern [and available] clutch assembly to fit the Sunbeam.
I was already on the point of investigating the possibility of getting a batch of new mainshafts manufactured so I'll pursue that project and report further.

shorrog

The club are keen to expand the range of spares it provides and wants to hear from club members with your requirements.  Clearly not everything can be manufactured , some are impractical and the demand for others would make the parts not economically viable. However, if there are spares that are needed by a reasonable number of folks then it may be possible to get  batches manufactured.

So lets have your thoughts and requirements.

P.S Don't forget Les Hobbs is the main spares man and you can always give him a ring 01902380006 or drop him an email leshobbs@uwclub.net