Choke on amal 289 carb

Started by Peter 100, January 17, 2022, 07:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter 100

Thomas
Like I have said in my reply to Rick I am going to keep it on the bike for the time being can always remove it later if it keeps giving me trouble
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

Rick
Thanks for that useful info. Looking at the cable it looks like a previous owner had soldered a nipple on as it looks a bit rough and by the way the bit that had come off was wedged it the brass slide so got that out. I want to try to keep the choke assembly on the bike and with that in mind have soldered a new bit on filed to to shape and yanked hard on it. It seems solid enough.
I am waiting for a new throttle needle and spring so will see how it works when the parts arrive and can re assemble the carb.
You mentioned that if I were to take the choke off amal supply a little blanking screw I had noticed that on the parts breakdown but didn't know what it was for now I do thanks.
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Thomas

That's all correct! I barely need the choke at all. Quite the opposite, I sometimes forget the pull it back and after some miles the motor suddenly stalls.  :o On the other hand, for originality I would always leave it in. It's a matter of personal preference, I suppose.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Rick Parkington

Hi Peter,
I think part of the trouble here is that the nipple on the carb end of the cable, being very small, is often not very firmly attached - er...speaking of which, I hope you have found it, if that is the one that has come off, and it hasn't been eaten by the engine! Unlike the throttle, the choke gets firmly pulled against the stop all the time so it's under quite a lot of strain.
Two things, one when you fit the new cable make sure the choke slide completely clears the bore when fully open and secondly, I'd say the choke is more trouble than it's worth and take it off! It was a bit of a hang over from the old two lever (air and throttle) carbs where originally the air ever was used in normal running - but on these automatic Amals you have a tickler for cold starts and if the carb is set up properly I can't imagine ever needing a choke unless it's just to keep it looking original. If you did decide to remove it though, you should block the hole for the cable which admits extra air, Amal make a little threaded plug that fills the hole.   
Cheers Rick

Peter 100

Thomas
Thanks for the reply.
I understand what you are saying and agree. I will see about getting a replacement cable.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Thomas

Hi Peter!
Quote... so is the picture showing the choke on or off?
The picture shows choke off.
QuoteWith mine being loose I can imagine it dropping to the bottom and keeping choke on all the time. Would this be the case.
I'm not sure how loose the slide is. I believe it will but in case of doubt, it will slide down due to the vibrations, anyway, and activate the choke permanently. I would repair it.

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Peter 100

1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

Hello to all.
A question about the choke. I have discovered that the nipple on the end of the choke cable has broken off thus leaving the brass choke slide loose.
I will post a typical picture as an example the bottom half is not like mine but the top is, so is the picture showing the choke on or off?
With mine being loose I can imagine it dropping to the bottom and keeping choke on all the time.
Would this be the case.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙