Thomas

Excellent job, John! Thanks for the description, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

singleminded

Hi all..
I recently bought a tank off ebay for a 1934'ish Sunbeam..it had a dent where the knee pads fit but came with the gate and lever. pic 1
Now how to remove the dent.
I have watched quite a few Youtube videos on removing dent from the inside of the tank, all requiring special tools to reach the dent. I'm fairly certain that our tanks are too thick to be able to use these tools..I may be wrong.
The tool I used is just stuff from around the workshop which is shown in pic 3.The double ended ring spanner can be wiggle into the tank and the hex bar inserted into the other ring. I fitted the apropriate socket to my long breaker bar and put a 1 1/2" (40mm) about 90cm (3 ft) long in the vice jaws to fit the tank over. i could then start to ease the dent out.
I removed the breaker bar and leaving the hex bar in to use as a handle I swung the spanner against the remains of the dent inside the tank and slowly got the tank to the stage of pic 2 .There is still a bit to do but it doesn't look too bad with the knee pad on, pic 4..
Now I'm am by no stretch of the imagination a good sheet metal worker but it shows that there are ways to get the job done..All that time on Youtube wasn't completely wasted. The exact solution may not be there but the seed of an idea is...John