How to remove rust by electrolysis

Started by Thomas, June 18, 2021, 09:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Quote from: Thomas on November 24, 2022, 07:45:28 PMRust is a result of oxidation. Electrolysis starts a so-called redox reaction, which transports the ions from the side of the rusty piece to the galvanic anode. The underlying material including solder material is not attacked.

that's good news I wasn't sure thanks Tom my job of de-rusting the tank just got a bit easier once it's done I'll also run it through with "Fedox" then I'll seal it with Bill Hirsch tank sealer.....I'll post up results when I get around to doing the job......cheers

Thomas

Rust is a result of oxidation. Electrolysis starts a so-called redox reaction, which transports the ions from the side of the rusty piece to the galvanic anode. The underlying material including solder material is not attacked.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

Russ

how would Electrolysis affect the Soldered joints of a Flat tank petrol tank do we know

shorrog

Hi Thomas
Thanks for this. I have tried the technique and it works very well. I had some cast iron model locomotive wheels that were pretty rusted and I used this technique with good results.
Graham

Thomas

Hi all!

Attached is a description from a fellow BSA afficionado about how to remove tank rust by electrolysis.

Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)