FAST WET SUMPING

Started by 38lion, June 24, 2015, 05:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wessex_man

Suggest air is being sucked through the oil pump somewhere and therefore the return is not working properly.
Hope this helps
WM

VicYouel

I am not familiar with this range of models but wondering whether the oiling system is similar to the 1939 high cam models..... ie one with a spiral cut shaft with oil troughs oscillating on a peg driven by vertical gear.   IF it is this type then the reason you are getting oil returning may only be due to downwards movement of the piston causing an increase in crankcase pressure to return a dribble.  If it was my machine I would dismantle the oil pump as it may not be working at all on the return side... but then why is it working on the delivery side??? Confused??

Vic

38lion

Hi firstly I am trying to get my 1938 600 sv back on the road after it started to push white smoke out of the exhaust a few years ago before it was put in the shed. Symptoms were, oil filled to normal level, after starting and riding for around a 1/4 of a mile it starts to smoke and on return the oil has nearly all disappeared to the sump. . More recently I have had the oil tank off and when cranking the kick start there is oil coming out of the return pipe. Gentlemen, suggestions on where to start looking would be apprieciated! Many thanks. George