Amal carb

Started by Peter 100, December 02, 2021, 04:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter 100

Rick and John
Cheers for your advice. It looks like with all the info you have given I know a bit more about the workings of the carb. It always looks a bit daunting when you see all the different types and sizes but with a bit of advice becomes a lot clearer.
Ta
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

singleminded

Looks like it should be a 106 needle jet.
John

Rick Parkington

Hi Peter, 
With most of these carbs the needle jet was listed as 'standard' - no size given unlike later Amal carbs, so'29' just refers to the standard needle jet for a type 29 carb - which I think is longer than a type 6 (276) but possibly the same bore size -from memory 107 but I may be wrong on that.
From memory again (bearing in mind it's past my bedtime!) I think the TT carbs came incrementally sized and stamped but the type 6 and 29 were one size fits all.  You'd think the 29 would have a larger jet but not necessarily, monoblocs mostly had roughly the same regardless of body size and so did concentrics.
So I'd say a '29' is correct for your carb and if you want to replace it go for whatever Burlen sell as standard for a 289.
Cheers Rick

Peter 100

Hello again
I took the main jet and needle jet out and like Vic said earlier the jet is a 160, however the needle jet has a number 29 stamped on it.
Looking at the AMAL spares webside they list the various needle jets does anybody know which is the right one for 289 carb.
I have posted a pic from the website and a pic of my jet.
Cheers
peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

klaudius

1932-M9A Amal 29/001

Peter 100

Klaudius
I have attached a picture of mine and it shows the two stampings 29/001 and M9DP.
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

klaudius

Hello
I am surprised that the stamping was actually different. My two 600 1932 Sunbeams are only stamped with 7A and 9A. No trace of book M.
greeting
Claudius

Peter 100

Rick
That's really useful information especially that about the tiny hole near the fibre washer will look out for that. There are so many amal carburetor varieties but you have nailed it with those comments.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Rick Parkington

Hello Peter,
I believe all the Amal carbs fitted to Sunbeams had the model stamped into the body, I have an 'M90' carb and on my 1932 9A an 'M9A', so  an M9 carb is correct for a Model 9. I  understand this was because Amal and Sunbeam were both owned by the same parent company at the time.
Referring to earlier in your post a type 29 carb is bigger than the 276 (formerly Type 6). The type 29 became the 89 and later the 289. This is important if you are getting a gasket kit.
Removing the jet block  is not too  difficult but it is important to  press it carefully rather than bash it with a hammer as the hole through the middle makes it quite easily collapsed when struck  from above. All being well it can stay where it is but sometimes you get a blockage in the pilot system that requires it to be removed and blown through.
The big clanger with these carbs is that the fibre washer in the bottom nut that holds the jet block in place must have a large enough ID to  clear the small pilot feed hole in the jet block or you will have a problem. Ones in a gasket kit  should be okay but sometimes people have fitted a random one in there that obstructs this hole, causing bother.
Have fun with your new bike!
Cheers Rick 

Peter 100

John (singleminded )
Thanks for the carb info. I had a closer look at mine and I found an additional stamping on the carb body it is M9DP this could be the Sunbeam factory stamp?
Thanks
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

Hi Graham
It was Google that did not work i opened via Firefox and that worked.
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

shorrog

Quote from: Peter king 100 on December 04, 2021, 07:00:18 PM
Graham
This has been sent from another tablet so it might be my original tablet that is the problem
Cheers
Peter
Hi Peter
Which browser did you have the failure with and which was successful?
Graham

singleminded

29/001 is the same as the one on my M90, the number is an Amal one..
Some of the known to be original in that size are marked M90 on the main body of the carb which i guess was stamped by the factory. My 9A has this number on it..
John

Peter 100

Graham
This has been sent from another tablet so it might be my original tablet that is the problem
Cheers
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

shorrog

That's really strange and I can't reproduce the problem.  Not sure what to suggest.
Graham

Peter 100

Graham
My reply test picture was102kb and it failed.
A banner comes up saying"unable to complete previous operation due to low memory "
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

shorrog

Just a test to see if image can be uploaded. This one is 209kBytes

Peter 100

Can anyone enlighten me is the 29/001 stamped on the carb a sunbeam works number or an amal type number?
Ta
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

John
Cheers its good to get this info up front👍 then I know what to expect its a learning process but great to know I can call on you guys for some guidance!!
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

singleminded

the cables and slides come out when you unscrew the knurled ring at the top of the carb..putting the ring back on takes a little practice as it can easily be cross threaded..John

Peter 100

Vic thanks for that great info.
I watched a video on utube he didn't show the removal of the cables but he did show removing the brass block and to be honest with you I didn't fancy doing it!!
So I think you may be right and give it to the experts, when I finally get it off.
Many thanks again
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

VicYouel

Hello Peter,
Your carb 29/001 is absolutely correct  for your model 9 and year. It hasa 1 3/4 inch bore with a jet of 160. Slide is type29/4 and the needle positioin is 3 (in the middle)
The cables are held in slots in the choke and throttle and removal is pretty obvious once you have removed the carb complete with cables
I suggest you buy a gasket kit from Amal (http://amalcarb.co.uk/)
Give me a call if you run into trouble.
Removing the brass block from the body is very tricky without permanently damaging the block.
Vic (new spares person)
PS It might be best to give the carb to a speciallist like Martin Bratby

Peter 100

Question about the throttle and choke connections on top of carburetor. How are these removed the literature I have just explains about the carb nowhere says how to remove the cables.
From looking at the diagrams it seems to have an end terminal in a slot but this is all inside and cannot be seen from the outside.
Thanks
Peter
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

Peter 100

Graham
Thanks for that some useful info on that site will have a proper read and taking pics a good idea.
Cheers
Petef
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙

shorrog

Hi Peter
I don't think there is anything specific but its a good idea to photograph each stage of the dismantling. Be careful with the needle valve and any blocked jets.
This link may be useful. https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Amal-Carburettors/Amal-Pre-Monobloc-Hints-and-Tips/Amal-Pre-Moonbloc-Hints-and-TIps
Graham

Peter 100

Hello to all.
I need to remove and give the AMAL carb a clean and check.
As the bike has not run for a number of a years I assume the jets could be clogged or the float stuck.
Not taken it off yet but it is stamped 29/001 is this a type 276?
Is there anything particular to look out for when dismantleing?
Any comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Peter.
1934 Sunbeam model 9 🏍️
1946 Austin 10 🚙