Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Thank you, Single! I just applied Curil K. Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
... and a scratched Hyundai
(MSCR member)

singleminded

On the earlier Sunbeams there is only 1 gasket listed and that is for the cylinder base to crankcase.
I use a good non setting compound on all the joint faces on my '32 9A and the joints don't leak, oil comes out other places but not the joints :-[.

Thomas

Excellent, Graham, it worked! Is is really a delicate procedure especially because I have no ring spanner of correct size (not 5/16 but 3/4). I got it done with a 19mm metric ring spanner. I guess I need some new witworth spanners.  ;D

No, I do not mean the primary case but the magdyno chain case. There is no gasket.
Thanks and cheers, Thomas

PS: Good to know a reasonable sealant for the primary case.
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)

shorrog

Thomas
I am not 100% sure about this but I have just checked on my bike a 1930 model 9 and it seems to have the same fitting as your photograph. I can get a 5/16 whit ring spanner to fit. See photos the spanner has a slight angle which seems to help.
If you do have to take off the inner chain case its quite a lot of work and you will need a special extractor to remove the front cog. The club does have these.

For the cover are you referring to the primary chain case cover? If so you can use silicon gasket or paper or both, I did the latter and it seemed to work with no leaks.

Graham

Thomas

Hi all!
My magdyno chain (1937 Model 9) needs some adjustment.The manual says that the two fixing nuts have to be slackened to move the magdyno on its platfirm. I can reach the nut on the right hand side with a long socket wrench. This is impossible, though, on the left hand side. I wonder if I have to remove the primary chain case to do this job. Or is there another possibility (maybe specific spanner)?

Second, I found no gasket for the cover. Is that the normal situation or should I apply one (paper, Curil...)?
Cheers, Thomas
1946 BSA C11
1937 Sunbeam Model 9
(MSCR member)