Clutch corks

Started by Steve_M90, July 07, 2017, 06:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phutton

I had exactly the same problem with my 1935 clutch. I took Vic's advice and used three of the thinner corked plates. I am told, but haven't tried it, that if you use modern ferodo-type friction material, you can take out one corked and plain plate. Anyone want to have a go?

P.

VicYouel

Yep it is pretty dodgy in my opinion so I use  some worn or the slimmer version.
Cheers
Vic

Steve_M90

Vic,

Thanks for making me look at the parts list more closely. Being a young lad and metric, I had assumed the dimensions referred to the plate thickness and not the cork. The dimensions imply 9mm and 5.5mm. I have had to sand the two inner plates down to ~5mm and I'm still little concerned by the slim engagement of the final steel plate with the centre piece.

Steve

VicYouel

The 1932 parts list available from the club web site specifies  the two thicknesses. I have found they are usually a little too thick and need some work of mix in some used ones.
Vic

Steve_M90

Is there a specification for how thick the cork should be in the sprocket and the clutch plates? I've had mine replaced but I'm having trouble reassembling the clutch and getting the final steel plate to engage with the centre piece.

Steve