1920 3 1/2 HP single spring clutch

Started by beaumy, May 14, 2017, 03:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaumy

Hi Graham,
Yes, that helps a lot. I also notice from your second photo that the crankshaft sprocket nut is fitted with a locknut so that is what I will do too. Thank you for your quick response. Peter

shorrog

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am not sure if this is going to help but I think my 1925 model 5 may have a similar clutch. I have attached a few photos of the clutch and I think your description is correct. On my clutch I found that it was slipping pretty bad, I re-corked it and got  a stronger spring from Chris Odling. To adjust I basically tightend the nut to compress the spring just enough to stop it slipping you could tighten it more but the clutch gets uncomfortably heavy.
Graham

beaumy

This is my first attempt at using the forum and I am hoping that someone will be able to advise me on the following.
I am wanting to know the correct method of holding the clutch assembly onto the gearbox mainshaft and then adjusting the spring tension.
My own thoughts from the parts that I currently have available is that a full nut and washer is used to hold the clutch assembly on to the shaft and this is locked up tight. A sleeve nut is then passed through the large diameter spring washer and tightened to provide sufficient preload via the spring onto the plates to resist slipping and this in turn is followed by a half nut locking the two together to maintain the setting.
I believe that I have read somewhere a method of making up a clutch pushrod assembly that will give a relatively light action and resist drag. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanking you all in advance.