Light Solo Sports

Started by Ridaug, November 04, 2016, 08:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter wright

Hi Tony,
It appears I forgot to thank you for this bit of information.

The A prefix makes it 1938 and the serial number is one of the highest recorded. As yet we don't have any over 550, and with the numbering starting at 100 it is very likely less than 500 of these interesting bikes were made over the two years.

Thanks for the information.

Regards,
Peter

meddlesomebilly

Hello Peter,
FAO your database;-
I have what I believe to be [according to the brass plate on the mag. chain cover] a Light Solo Sports crankcase, the number is A26 E 502.
I hope this is of use.
Tony.

VicYouel

Hi Peter,
You may find it worthwhile keeping an eye on our Facebook site as well ...... quite a lot of new (next generation?) people pop up. For some reason I can no longer access the yahoo chat group though but even I draw the line at using Twitter and some of the other mobile phone apps.
Vic

peter wright

Unfortunately I have not looked in on the forum for quite a while so hope you are still receiving messages. I hope you have been in touch with Paul and he has recorded your bike's data. Along with my namesake Ash Wright I research these bikes and we are happy to chat with and help owners.

There are not a lot of LSS and LS models around and the 1938 model is quite rare. To be a 1938 the engine number should be prefixed A26 and there were several differences between 1937 and 1938. My example doesn't have the "A" prefix but has the other changes so might be a very 1938 season example (after 25 years the search goes on!).

Typically a LS has valanced mudguards, painted tank and sometimes a rear chaincase, with LSS having chromed tank and plain mudguards. There is an example of a 1938 LSS with the painted tank, rear chaincase and low pipe, but whether this has been changed over the ages or is Factory is unknown.

Would certainly like your engine, frame and gearbox numbers for our own database and would be interested to see photos. I can't find one with a 1939 registration date on our list so yours might be new to us.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Regards,
Peter

VicYouel

I am pretty sure the sports model had a chrome tank and the standard did not. Contact our club registrar who has some 1500 motorcycles recorded.  His contact details are on our club web site
Vic

Ridaug

I recently acquired what I believe to be is a 1938 Sunbeam either a Light Solo or Light Solo Sports. I have the registration which shows the original registration was in May of 1939  and it lists the description of the vehicle as Light Solo Sports. Both the engine number and frame number start with 26/***. My question is the tinware appears to be a Light Solo rather than a Light Solo Sports model. However it does have the high exhaust pipe and a 21" front rim. Is there a registry where I can check the build date? Any help is greatly appreciated.