Carb Identification.

Started by shorrog, April 10, 2014, 12:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

singleminded

My 1932 M9A,which has a M90 carb, has a stub that is 1 1/4" which makes the internal somwher about 1 1/8".It is also marked 29/001..John

phutton

Certainly a Type 29/001 is correct from 1933 on for the M9, but not sure about 1930.

John Dodimead

My 1930 Model 9 single port has a 1" bore inlet port and is fitted with a later then standard 1" Amal 276 Carb. I am told that the correct carb is a brass bodied Type 6 with a number 29/001 on it but according to the Amal book that is a 1 3/32" inch bore carb. Can anyone explain what is what

shorrog

Hi Paul and thanks. At the moment I am still having a problem sourcing a replacement so I think I better hang on to mine for the time being.
Graham

phutton

Hi Graham,

I know of a 1928 M9 owner who is looking for an appropriate carb. Would you like me to put you in touch?

Paul

VicYouel

Your carb could make several hundred on Ebay!!!

Vic

shorrog

Great thanks guys.
My slide is pretty badly worn but I don't think the bore is too bad.  I  have decided to buy an alternative replacement from Amal so will probably end up selling the Amac.
Graham

wessex_man

Its an AMAC sports carb and slightly earlier/period for your M9. How worn is your air slide? this can cause poor tick over. By inserting a cable adjuster in the throttle cable this helps you set it more finely. Did this with mine much better.  I also had the bore done and the original slide sleeved and re-machined to fit new bore.

The Vintage Motorcylists workshop manual explains how to set them up.

Also they are being made brand new and are available from motomania
http://www.motomaniastore.com/parts/details/carburetor-tt-sport-15-mdy-299.  I don't know what they are like but the quality looks good. 

singleminded

It's an AMAC carb..Google 15MDY..John

shorrog

I was wondering if anyone could help with identifying the carb that is currently fitted to my 1930 Model 9. It is non standard and does not have an idling adjustment just mixture screw. The Choke is on the side of the body rather than the top.  The manifold dia is 1 1/8" (28.6 mm). It is stamped with M9 and 15MDY, A3210

Also does anyone know what type of carb should fitted or know of a suitable replacement as the lack of idling screw makes riding pretty tricky?
Thanks
Graham